Meentje63

The Way She Reads

My thoughts on everything I read; good, bad and indifferent.

Sexy Ice Cream

Hissed as a Newt (With A Kick Book 2) - Sue Brown

‘Hissed as a Newt’ was a sweet and funny short romance. Both David and Stan were easy to like as characters and neither was too good to be true, which is always a huge plus in my mind.

As relationship starts go, the first meeting between David and Stan is far from promising. David has just stormed out of the office of the woman he had hoped would be the agent he needs to kick of his writing career and is in a rotten mood. Stan is dead drunk and being sick in a gutter. The two should have never exchanged a word except that David, for reasons unknown even to himself, decides to help the sad man dressed as a clown.

When David discovers Stan is more or less homeless after he walked in on his partner in bed with his best friend, David offers the sad clown his sofa for the night. A strong and immediate attraction combined with more practical considerations turns the one night solution into a more permanent arrangement. The two men may just be exactly what the other needs.

This book was written in Sue Brown’s smooth and easy to read style. The characters are recognisable and sympathetic although both have their quirks and issues. Sure, they get intimate very quickly and seem to be falling for each other almost instantly but, in the context of the story it came across as believable. The one issue the reader might have about Stan’s motivation – is he just on the rebound – is recognised and addressed by the characters and therefore not an issue. And I have to say this book ends on one of the best lines ever.

This is the second book in the ‘With a Kick’ series but I can’t say not having read the first book was an issue; this story stands completely on its own. Having said that, now that I know this is part of a series, I want to read the prequel too. And I really hope there will be a story about ‘With a Kick’s’ owner and his employee.

Overall this was another entertaining read by an author I’m growing increasingly fond of.